Ruined My Life

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Work all the Time

I was speaking with my wife this weekend and I thought she summed up the world very well. There are two types of people, those who gain energy from people and those who are drained by people - gaining energy from being home in their nest. I have determined that while I have to deal with people day-to-day, I am one of the latter types.

My work requires travel and right now I'm in the middle of a large trip. I'm the only person in my office who understands my desire to go without sleep, food, etc. in order to get home. There is something about home that helps me recharge. Travelling with coworkers is tiresome, no matter how much you like them. After a while I need to sink into the couch and just spend time with my wife.

I feel as though work is creeping into the spaces I hold dear. It's not that I mind working late hours or hard (ask my wife, she can tell of many cold dinners), it's that after a while I need to get away from people - clients, coworkers, strangers, vendors, waiters, hotel employees, etc.

I was thinking this weekend how when I was a kid, the best times I had were those playing in my room by myself. Spending time alone or with family seems like the greatest thing to do with my time. As the second year of my marriage is drawing to a close I find that my family (my wife and I for now) is the greatest social bond I have ever made. We can be together without asking anything from the other beyond the other's company. It's nice.

I find myself searching for a better balance between life and work. This doesn't mean ignoring my responsibilities, it means finding time for myself. I'm not a drinker, I don't work out, I don't have many hobbies that take me away from the world. My refueling comes from spending time with the ones I love. Being away from them (specifically Shannon) drains me beyond any task set before me.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • It was so wonderful to read this this morning. Thank you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Add to Technorati Favorites